• Vaughan, Brian K – Y: The Last Man – 7.0
• West, Nathanael – The Day of the Locust – 7.5
• Xinran – Sky Burial – 6.9
• Yates, Richard – Revolutionary Road – 8.6
• Zeltserman, Dave – The Caretaker of Lorne Field – 7.3
There’s a couple of things worth mentioning about these last few letters of the alphabet. X and Z were surprisingly good considering they were “throwaway” letters.
I couldn’t help comparing Revolutionary Road with Rabbit, Run. They had broadly similar themes, in my head. Unhappy couples in the 50s/60s who live dull lives. I thought Revolutionary Road did this far, far better. I understood the characters. Updike seemed to write off Rabbit’s wife as unexplainable – she was incredibly two-dimensional. Compared with April Wheeler, which was a very sympathetic portrait of a woman trapped in a life she didn’t enjoy.
Anyway, I’ll do a longer wrap-up post this weekend on LIFE-LESSONS and such.